Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday this year, but the kids in your children’s ministry program won’t mind celebrating on Sunday morning or during mid-week classes. It’s a great opportunity to remind the children of God’s love for us through our Savior, Jesus!
Here are three easy ways to celebrate Jesus on Valentine’s Day:
Jesus’ forgiveness cleans our hearts
- Cut foam sheets into hearts (or order pre-cut hearts).
- Fill small containers with soapy water. Add a few drops of red food coloring to draw a deeper connection to Jesus’ blood.
- Give the children black washable markers. For older kids, instruct them to write “sin” on the heart as many times as they can. Younger kids can simply scribble on the heart. This step represents what sin does to our hearts and to our lives.
- Give each child a small washcloth and instruct them to clean their heart with Jesus “blood.” Reinforce Psalm 51:10, Psalm 51:2, or 1 Corinthians 6:11 as the Bible verse of the day.
Gospel story valentine cards
- Print out this template for each child. Use a heavyweight paper for best results.
- Instruct the children to color the cross with a white crayon.
- Have the children use watercolors to color the heart. Use the Gospel story colors and explain what each color means as the children are painting. (The cross colored with the white crayon will be resistant to the watercolors).
- Allow the cards to dry as you finish your lesson. At the end of class, cut out the hearts and encourage the students to write a Bible verse on the back of each card. John 3:16, 1 John 4:8, 1 John 4:19, and Deuteronomy 6:5 are just a few examples.
Valentine’s Day bingo, mini-book, word search, and ministry message.
- Visit CTA’s Resource & Idea Center and take advantage of the FREE Valentine’s Day resources.
- Play bingo with CTA’s FREE templates. Use conversation hearts as bingo markers.
- Use CTA’s FREE template to create a Valentine’s Day mini-book focused on God’s love.
- Let kids work on the FREE Valentine’s Day word search independently or in teams.
- Finish your class with a FREE ministry message based on 1 John 4:8.
- If you have the time and resources, consider hosting a Valentine’s Day outreach event. You’ll find a FREE event outline in CTA’s Resource & Idea Center.
The external links included in this article are provided for informational purposes only. CTA makes every effort to ensure the information included in these links is accurate and relevant; however, CTA cannot guarantee the content, nor does CTA endorse any of the products or services offered on the external sites.
You are welcome to copy this article for one-time use when you include this credit line and receive no monetary benefit from it: © 2017 CTA, Inc. Used with permission.