Have you peeked ahead in your calendar yet? You may have to do a double-take. Yes, Valentine’s Day is on a Sunday this year!
But do church and Valentine’s Day really go together? Yes! This is the perfect time to put together a few simple activities that can make a big difference in sharing love–Jesus’ love—with the kids in your ministry! Try out these ideas in your kids’ church or Sunday school classrooms.
- Get crafty: Help the kids in your ministry express God’s love through art.
- Print the words of John 3:16 on white card stock and cut the paper into a heart shape. Attach a ribbon on the back so the children will be able to hang up their decorated hearts at home. Let the kids decorate the hearts with paint, stickers, and other craft supplies.
- Cut several triangles and provide ribbon to make a banner. Have the children write one word of Solomon 2:4 on each triangle and decorate the banner with craft supplies.
- For a quick and easy craft, look to CTA’s God’s Love Amazes Me foam activity kit. The kit includes everything the little ones need to create a Valentine’s Day picture frame in one convenient package. No glue required!
- Serve a snack: A few creative snacks will let kids know that this is a special Sunday—a Sunday dedicated to sharing God’s love.
- Make a Valentine’s Day snack mix with pink and red M & Ms, vanilla cupcake Goldfish, and marshmallows.
- Add a touch of red food coloring to Rice Krispie treats and cut them using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Purchase fruit squeeze pouches and adorn each with a tag that says, “You’re my main squeeze!”
- Share Scripture: Hand out Valentine’s Day cards and treats that feature the Word of God. Here are some fun examples:
- Print John 8:12 on a square of paper and attach it to glow sticks.
- Gather boxes of conversation hearts and decorate them with the words of Jeremiah 31:3.
- Check out CTA’s God’s Love Amazes Me activity card and sucker. Each card is printed with colorful Valentine’s Day artwork, a kid-friendly maze, and the words of 1 John 4:8. The cards come with suckers, too!
- Focus on Jesus: Throughout the party, do your best to keep the focus on Jesus and his love for all his children. Encourage the kids to share that love with others, too. Do you need some ideas for keeping Valentine’s Day celebrations grounded in Christ? Look to CTA’s God’s Love Amazes Me event outline. It provides all of the planning and hosting details you’ll need to put on a one-hour Christian Valentine’s Day celebration for kids ages 3 to 11.
You are welcome to copy this article for one-time use when you include this credit line and receive no monetary benefit from it: © 2016 CTA, Inc. Used with permission.