Preschoolers building in the block area quickly learn that it takes a sturdy foundation to support a tall, strong structure. They soon notice that they can make a tall building from lightweight cardboard blocks, but that building won’t be very strong. To create structures that are both tall and strong, solid wooden blocks work best.
Jesus is our sure foundation. We say it. We sing it. We believe it!
We know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:20
Yes, Jesus is “the true God and eternal life.” This is the main message we want to teach all the students in every one of our classes at church. Sunday school. Bible clubs. Midweek classes. Confirmation. Whatever the venue, whatever the students’ ages, Jesus is the foundation.
If I were able to pick just three more lessons to emphasize, I would choose three that keep me strong as I face the daily challenges of life. These three faith lessons are:
1. Ask the Holy Spirit to work in you a heart filled with gratitude and joy. This comes when we realize more and more fully all that Jesus has done for us. Even in times when we face overwhelming challenges, we can look back to see how Jesus has cared for us in the past. That gives us the confidence we need to trust his care for us in the present. Our hearts fill again with gratitude.
2. Enjoy the moment. The now is all that God gives us. In the cross of our Savior, we can let go of past mistakes. We can place the future in the nail-scarred hands of Christ. We can celebrate this moment.
3. Remember that God is with us always. He is here to help, to heal, to support, to strengthen. This means we can let go of worry, anger, and fear. We need not let ourselves be overwhelmed. God is with us in Christ! He is our Immanuel – not just at Christmas, but all year long!
As we interact with the children in our classes grow in their faith, we want to be intentional about helping them apply these faith lessons for themselves.
For your reflection:
- If you could pick only three foundational faith lessons for life to share with your students, what would they be?
- How have you helped your students learn and apply these faith lessons?
- When have you noticed your students demonstrating faith in Jesus, their firm foundation?
Blessings to you as you keep building your faith on Jesus, the sure foundation and as you help others do the same!
Editor’s note: For more ideas, see CTA’s newest theme for kids, Faith Under Construction. As you plan summer Sunday school, VBS, and special events, these colorful, Christ-centered products will help you encourage the kids in your church to grow in grace!
Scriptures quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.